Downers Grove Illinois History
The Grove Historical Society is proud to present the Downers Grove Historic Home Program for the third year in a row and its second year of existence. The Downer's Grove Historic Houses Program is part of the Grove's Historic Homes Program, in partnership with the Illinois Historical Commission, the Illinois State Historic Preservation Commission and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
The Downers Grove Historic Home Program is not affiliated with the Village of Downer's, but it is the mission of the Downes Grove Museum to collect, preserve, exhibit and interpret historical documents, photographs, documents and other explained and documented materials about the history and culture of Downers Grove. The mission of the Downs Grove Museum is to provide educational and recreational opportunities for the community by collecting, preserving, exhibiting, exhibiting, explaining, documenting and interpreting historical material, photographs, materials and documents about Downs Grove and its history.
Downers Grove is home to the Avery-Coonley School and a member of Downes Grove Historical Society, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit. Founded in 1906, the private K-8 school, known for its science-oriented teaching, was founded in 1929 at what is now DownersGrove. Downer's Grove serves as a community centre, recreation centre and recreation facility for the village of Downs Grove. It is home to a number of local businesses and an educational institution for students of all ages, and actively participates in a variety of activities and activities for children and adults.
It was only a few decades younger than Chicago, if you include the time when the first permanent settlers arrived in what is now Chicago, but it started out as a farming town and gradually developed. Grain and other products were initially an important transportation commodity to and from Chicago. The first commuter trains were in service in 1869, and additional stations were built at Belmont, East Grove and later Fairview. By 1895, 25 trains a day were running between Chicago and Downers Grove, and by 1895 twenty-five trains a day were running to and from Chicago from Downer's Grove.
The expansion of Downers Grove to the north in the 1890s brought with it an increase in subdivision activity, and the original Village Parks were added to the Downer's Grove Park District in various years. By the 1940s, Downes Grove's population had grown to 9,500, but only by about 500 additional residents.
The Downers Grove Park District purchased the site in 1974 and it was declared a nature reserve by the State of Illinois in 1975 to support the development of Downer's Grove Nature Center, a nature center and park. The site was maintained by the village of Downes Grove until it was bought in 1979 and again in 1983. Also in the 1940s, Downing Grove benefited from the construction of a new park on the west side of Main Street, north of where it is now.
The conservation of the original 90 hectares in 1987 was the beginning of the Downers Grove Nature Center, a nature center and park. Located at the southeast corner of Main Street and Downer's Grove Road, Belmont Prairie is one of the last original prairies in Illinois. In 1941, a number of cultural organizations were founded, including the Downes Grove Artists.
The speaker's office is no longer active, but still offers presentations at Downers Grove Nature Center and at other events in the area, such as the Illinois State Fair.
In 1927, Downers Grove Community High School was built at the northern terminus of Forest Avenue, and a new wing was built in 1935 and 1939. The auditorium is named after Clarence Johnson, who was the school's principal for 35 years from 1932 to 1967. In 1968, the course was bought by the Downer's Grove Park District and renamed the Downers' Grove Golf Club. Downes Grove North Outdoor Stadium was named in honor of its first home game in the late 1950s and early 1960s, a football game against the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on July 1, 1962. In 1968, the course was purchased and renamed "Downer's Grove National Golf Course," and in 1969 "The Downing Grove Golf Park."
The first Methodist church was founded in 1836 and became the first organized church in Downers Grove. The Reverend Stephen Beggs agreed to include "Downer's Grove" in his circuit, and the church was responsible for many of the railroad lines that passed through it over the years. Although the name has been changed many times, from Methodists at Downes Grove North Outdoor Stadium and then Downing Grove Community High School and finally to the golf course, the essential church has remained the same through the many changes.
The Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (CCOM) moved to the western suburbs and the Downers Grove Illinois campus was bought in 1986. George Williams College moved to a 20-acre campus in Downer's Grove, and in 1990 the Chicago School of Public Health (CSH) and Chicago State University (SCU) acquired the Downes Grove, Illinois campus.